Sunday, January 23, 2011

As Time Goes By....

As the days go by, and the weeks of my trip continue to become something further back in my past, I find it hard to know what to write about. I am finding it hard to share my experiences. As I live life back at home, in the house I grew up in, the same bedroom I have slept in for years, my family around me, sometimes it can feel as if I never even went to SE Asia. But then there are those moments where the memories, experiences and affects of my trip are very much present and real to me I cannot deny that I went on this trip. For instance, the other night my parents decided it would be nice to go out for dinner. So the three of us got into the van (detoured to my sisters first) and on the way into town we decided where to go, well my dad did. He chose the all you can eat Chinese buffet Red Rice in Port Hope.  Growing up I never was a fan of this restaurant besides the chicken balls, the hard cracker like noodles and the dessert (say YES to Chocolate pudding, fruit, variety of ice creams and many yummy baked goodies! ). On the way there, I found myself thinking about all the food I'd eaten in Asia, never having been a fan of Chinese food, I figured it wouldn't be such a bug deal this time. Once there I had no problems digging right into the vegetable dishes, variety of chicken, and roast beef.  Even in Asia I didn't like the noodle dishes so I avoided those and wasn't really feeling rice, I had A LOT of that last fall. As I looked at my plate I sorta  had to smile to myself thinking back to the times I would eat Asian food before going away, I wouldn't necessarily enjoy it and I DEFINITLEY wouldn't have seen so many vegetables on my plate.  But for the most part I enjoyed the food, the one vegetable dish I didn't really like the sauce, but other than that it was fine. It was just weird to be eating this kind of meal with a fork and a knife, I felt I should be using a fork and a SPOON like they do in Asia (or chopsticks but that was by far one of things I couldn’t  have failed at any worse when I tried eating with them back in November). It was a good meal, great dessert! Mmhmm pudding! And it was nice to go out with the parents, even though by the end I told them it was the last date I'd be going on with them…cause well, you know how parents can get sometimes….SHEESH!! But you gotta love 'em just the same! Nothing can stop that!
 But seriously,  something as simple as eating some Asian food just made the memories of my trip come flooding into mind, most of them food related granted. The many many meals I'd eaten over there, the ones I loved, the ones that were ok, and even the ones I really don't ever want to relive! The countless meals that were consumed in which I didn't know some of what I was eating….yeah, not so fun…GOOD TIMES! :D
So I am still stuck on Malaysia. When I started this blog back in December I was SO excited to write about my trip. I right away I had in mind everything I wanted to write about from the Philippines and couldn't wait to get through writing that to move onto Malaysia and Thailand.  I was exited to reflect on my trip by writing this blog to share my experiences with those who would take the time to read. I felt as if I couldn't write fast enough, or post enough pictures. But as life at home gets away with me, setting aside a few hours to blog didn't always happen. I don't know if it's the excitement that has worn off about sharing my trip, or if it's the fading memories, the excitement of the trip itself, falling into life at home, or all of these and more mixed together, that are making it hard for me to think about what to write , what to share. I know I still want to, I want my friends and family to know about my experiences in Malaysia, there were some good times, but man oh man is my mind having trouble spitting out things to share. But I am determined to keep going with it, there were some good times in Malaysia and some even better ones in Thailand. So even if Malaysia seems to fail, I will have a chance to redeem myself by sharing with you my experiences in Thailand.
So, please bear with me dear Reader(s) as I tackle this mind block I've been having recently. I hope my determination will win it over!

Blessings


No comments:

Post a Comment