Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Chronicles of Sarnia: Toastmasters II

Tonight I successfully completed my first Toastmaster speech - the Icebreaker.  I can say with confidence that it went well :) I am happy with how it unfolded even though there are already areas that I've noticed I can improve in (obviously as it is my first time....)
This experience has lead me to marvelling over the power of the brain. The first week of toastmasters I refused to get up and speak (granted there were varying factors to this beyond just toastmasters). The second week I got up but was super nervous, uncomfortable and definitely not enjoying myself. It was later that evening that I told myself "you know what, this isn't so bad, you can do this Janell and you can do it with confidence rather than nerves..." or something like that. I decided that I was going to put my all into this, face the fears and nervousness with my head high. And you know what, it has had good results so far. Tonight I got up there without any nerves - amazing! I stepped up to the podium with confidence and even a wee bit of excitement. I spoke loud and clearly (yet still a bit too fast for my liking).
I whole heartedly believe that had I continued dreading the whole toastmasters speech thing, my nerves would have gotten the better of me. Had I continued in the negative mindset, I don't think I would have come out with the same results. Thus, I'm once again amazed by the power of the mind.

(I really don't mean to be tooting my own horn tonight, but I'm just a bit excited about how it all went down this evening)

Here is what I spoke about :)



Have you ever been lost? In the wilderness? All alone?

Mr. Toastmaster, fellow toastmasters and most special guest,

I have.

Please, allow me to share with you the story.

It was the year 2010. I was traipsing across Western Europe with my fellow classmates from St. Stephen's University. We were spending two months exploring world heritage sites, major museums and art galleries, and experiencing European daily life – Germany, Switzerland, the Czech Republic and England are a few of the countries we stopped in along the way. All this connected with our courses in philosophy, literature, history, cultural and religious studies.
On this particular day however, we were just outside of Barcelona, Spain at Montserrat – a Benedictine Monk mountain retreat, an hour North West of the city. In addition to the monastery having religious significance, it also offers one of the most spectacular mountain views of Catalunya. There are many paths and hiking trails that weave up and around the mountains and caves where even more magnificent views and incredible rock formations can be seen.
A group of us were interested in taking a hike up to one of the highest points where a celtic cross would be found as well as the original stone monastery chapel. It wouldn't be an easy walk – all up hill – the first way – and in addition, rocky and windey, but we were up for the challenge. Yet, there was a slight catch, we only had an hour until the bus' departure. This particular hike was said to be a minimum 2 hour walk, we decided could be done within the hour – or at least, we thought we'd try.
Now, I am not the most fit person, nor do I hike regularly, so I was a little hesitant about the feat of climbing the mountainous terrain that was before me. However, I reeeeally wanted to see the chapel and the views from the peak. So off I went.
It wasn't so bad at the beginning, the five of us were trekking along at a pretty fast paced speed. I tried to appreciate the view as well as it could be without stopping to really soak it in. Every once in a while we would stop for a brief breather, only to start up again all too quickly.
Perhaps it was about half way that I began to lag behind more and more. Seeing glimpses of the last person as they turned around the next corner just as I came around the previous one. This was the result of my desire to pause and bask in the magnificence of my surrounding, but if I have to be truly honest, my numerous pauses to catch my breath had a part to play also. Soon I was not catching glimpses of the group anymore, rather I was following their voices. Fortunately. the path had been relatively straight forward the whole time. Unfortunately, I reached a fork in the path and realized I no longer heard the voices or stepping of my friends ahead me. Left or right? I had to choose. I went left. Only later to discover it was the wrong way.
Here I was, on a mountain. A mountain I'd never been on, in a country I'd never been in – All alone - with no idea where I was going but up. My mind was racing faster than my feet at this point. Do i continue going up or Do I go back down? Do I go back to the fork and wait for the group - but will they even come back that way? I didn't know. How much time do I have I left? Question after question... yet I decided to keep going, I was still determined to reach the chapel and the peak even though I didn't know the exact way.
I found a sense of peace and solitude while I was up there by myself. It was only me, the wind and the birds – and the breath taking views of Catalonia every which way I turned. Thus, instead of being panicked, I marvelled in the beauty around me and couldn't help but smile in childish pleasure of this situation I found myself in.
--- until I looked at my watch.
It'd been nearly 45 minutes since we had set off, I had fifteen minutes to get down. But I hadn't come across the chapel yet, it could be just around the next corner. I couldn't just turn around. Before I knew it, I was almost running as I proceeded onwards. Foolish, maybe, but I'd come this far...
It was only a couple minutes by the time I stumbled across an old stone building, that I assumed was the chapel. I briefly studied the structure before running up to rocky peak just past it. Pausing on the rocky foundation beneath my feet, my breath caught as I scanned the vast landscape all around me from the highest point I would reach. After which, I turned around and began the race against time back down Montserrat mountain – still not a soul in sight.
There was a fleeting fear that I would stumble and get hurt with no one around to come to my aid if necessary, yet the joy of what I'd just experienced overpowered that thought as I continued my rapid descent. I was checking my watch at nearly every corner as I climbed through holes in the rocks, down stairs, over a brook, up a hill – only to go down another – all the while trying to maintain my balance --- and speed.
As I made it to the road, I didn't know if my heart was pumping more from the running or the adrenaline of the time crunch. Thankfully, I saw our bus before too long and let out a huge sigh of relief. I walked on red faced, but with a smile.
“JANELL!! Thank goodness, I didn't know if I'd ever see you again!” A member of my hiking group exclaimed.

Now, I don't know if you've had any experience with being lost in an unfamiliar wilderness or how you would respond to such a situation. This particular experience for me could have been a negative and frightening one. On the contrary, I found it to be quite exhilarating, soul enriching and unforgettable – in a most positive way.

However...climbing stairs the next day, wasn't as positive.

Mr. Toastmaster, fellow toastmasters, and most honoured guests,
thank you for listening.

6 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE it! Okay, I haven't read your speech itself yet....but I adore the opening!!! Question: Would you consider doing a Skype interview with me for a video for my business sometime?? This fits right in to what my first program is about. LOVE IT! I'll be back to read your speech...if I don't read it right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Teena,
      Sure I'd be up for that :) email/text me and we'll make a plan :)

      Delete
  2. Janell - this is amazing! (and I really mean that) ...Your story AND the way you are overcoming fears and growing in confidence - yay you and yay God!! :-) XR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachael - I really appreciate your comments :)

      Delete