Early afternoon we left the farm to start the journey up the mountains to the hill tribe. It was different to go on such a long travel in a Songthaew but it wasn’t bad. We had a stop part way for food and bathroom. And not long after the stop the road got much more hilly and curvy, the mountain ascension definitely become more noticeable (especially when a songthaew broke down). The mountains were beautiful. They were so green and full of so much life. I loved it! I loved being outside of the city. Driving up the mountain in a songthaew makes me fill a bit car sick though. I think it’s sitting sideways, not being able to see forwards and the curves and hills that make me quite dizzy and light headed. But it wasn't too bad.
After turning off the main road we got dropped off to make the walk down into the village. It was a fun walk – very much downhill. But so much nature was around, I was happy despite my anxious feelings about what the village would be like. I have to say that living in various different cities those last 6 weeks had/has really made me appreciated nature, the country, trees, water, the sounds, and sights of the country all the more. Even though the village was so different from what I am use to, I felt comfortable there (surprisingly). I felt more in my element having the sounds of the bubbling creek, crickets, other insects, birds and the wind through the trees. They’re familiar sounds like home. I’d missed them. The roosters on the other hand aren’t something I was used to quite yet. But oh well… AND I saw stars last night! I could see the stars! I don’t think I’d seen stars this whole trip! And if I have, it hasn’t been enough that I remember. I'd only seen city lights - to bright for the stars to shine through. But I've already discussed this bit of excitement in a previous post.
The village was small, but I am not sure if it is small too the standards of a village size. There were huts on either side of the paved main road, and a dirt road turned off to the left (if you’re headed into the village) which goes between more huts. It veered to the right, over a creek and up a hill. The village was tucked nicely in a valley-ish area of the mountains. There were trees all around and some huts still have some privacy.
All the huts were up on legs. By legs they’re above ground about 5 or 6 feet I would say. My head comes nearly to the level of the floor. Like all the houses in Thailand, the people take their shoes off before entering the house. Before we even go up the stairs our shoes are off. Our house (Greg, Dan, Nadya and I) was 3 rooms. We slept in the big main room that the door enters into. There was then a room built into this room with a door (directly across from the door to the outside), this was where the family slept (which is two parents and a 12 year old son). When walking into the house from the outside, to the right was another separate room – the cooking area. It was one step down from the level of the rest of the house. There were shelves on the wall that hold some pots and such. The cooking/fire area was situated in the centre of the room. There's a door (on the same wall the other outside door is on) onto a little deck outside. The hut was made from bamboo we think. The floor was strips of wood as well as the walls. There were cracks in it that allowed light to shine through and a breeze could be felt every now and then. The doors and windows don’t have screen but they’re not just open holes either, they do close.
The 4 of us slept on the floor all in a row. The family laid out straw weaved mats for us. We brought sleeping bags with us but the mom right away pulled out more blankets and some small pillows, which we were quite grateful for. It got quite chilly at night. It was actually a cozy night sleeping (basically) outside, breathing in the fresh cool air.
This was a Karen village. The three main religions of karen villages are animism, Buddhism, and Christianity. The tribe we were staying in is mainly Buddhist. They have their own language and they also speak Thai. Not many, if any, speak English. So we couldn’t talk very well with our family we are staying with. We tried the first night we arrived, but our minimal Thai and their zero English got us as far as exchanging what our names are. But I can’t even remember their names, I can’t even pronounce them. I had a hard time remembering people’s names on the trip when they’re so foreign and hard to pronounce.
We went on a hike the day after we arrived. It was about an 1 ½ hours to 2 hours in length. It was so great! We went further down the main road which kind of ended into the hiking path. We saw the school briefly as we walked by it. All the children were sitting on the floor inside staring wide eyed as we passed by their door. The building was what I’d say a “normal” building. But it’s not the norm of the village. It was actually solid walls and roof. There were elementary like pictures and posters on the walls. I wasn’t able to get a good look at them as we walked by, but it did have a class room look to it.
From passing the school we went into the forest/jungle and up through the mountain. I enjoyed this hike so much! The trees there are so different yet so similar to the trees here at home. They’re different because there are bamboo trees (the only ones I know the name of), there are trees that look like they’re 10-20 trees grown and intertwined together into one. There are super tall trees, short trees and fat trees. The green of the trees is SO green! Oh and palm trees! I know the name of those and can pick them out quite easily, and there are so many different kinds of palm trees. And some trees have HUGE leaves! Really huge! They could be umbrellas.
It was quite a climb, but it was also quite the view. And so worth it all!
I picked up some cinnamon leaves and acorns on the hike, (actually taped them into my journal). The acorns we were actually eating the night before at the fire. I think they were first roasted or at least warmed over the fire. They were so good! So I was sure to pick some up on the hike. The cinnamon leaves smelt SO good, just like cinnamon! So cool!
Our Humble Abode
The Dirt path
On our hike - a big leaf
some fruit....I don't know what kind...
a rather LARGE tree
I liked this tree :D
One of those trees that is like 20 trees :P
it got a little muddy and my white shoes were...well...no longer white
Sunshine in the jungle!
This leaf was bigger than an umbrella! I tried to get a picture of my under it to give some perspective, but the focus seemed to be up my nose so I decided not to share that one with you.
Heart Shaped leaves! they were LOVEly!
This tree has a growth :)
God's beautiful breath taking creation!
The Wonderful Hannah!
The Village on our way back down the mountain.
Ariel and I
No comments:
Post a Comment