A conversation from Eat Pray Love got me
thinking. Some thoughts that have already been percolating but some
new perspective has also been gained. Maybe these are obvious
thoughts that you have already encountered, but here are my tid bits
anyway; read on if you please.
Excerpt from Eat, Pray, Love
Conversation with Liz and a ninth-generation Balinese medicine man
Liz - “I want to have a lasting experience of God,” I told him. “Sometimes I feel like I understand the divinity of this world, but then I lose it because I get distracted by my petty desires and fears. I want to be with God all the time. But I don't want to be a monk, or totally give up worldly pleasure. I guess what I want to learn is how to live in this world and enjoy its delights, but also devote myself to God.” Ketut said he could answer my question with a picture. He showed me a sketch he'd drawn once during meditation. It was an androgynous human figure, standing up, hands clasped in prayer. But this figure had four legs, and no head. Where the head should have been, there was only a wild foliage of ferns and flowers. There was a small, smiling face drawn over the heart.
“To find the balance you want,” Ketut spoke through his translator, “this is what you must become. You must keep your feet grounded so firmly on the earth that it's like you have four legs, instead of two. That way, you can stay in this world. But you most stop looking at the world through your head. You must look through your heart instead, that way, you will know God.”
On this cold, rainy sunday afternoon, I came across this encounter which resonated with my life and desire to live whole heartedly with the Lord. I've found it to be a difficult journey, as I'm sure others have as well, to live in this world but not be 'of' it. How does one find the balance and then proceed to live it out?
Conversation with Liz and a ninth-generation Balinese medicine man
Liz - “I want to have a lasting experience of God,” I told him. “Sometimes I feel like I understand the divinity of this world, but then I lose it because I get distracted by my petty desires and fears. I want to be with God all the time. But I don't want to be a monk, or totally give up worldly pleasure. I guess what I want to learn is how to live in this world and enjoy its delights, but also devote myself to God.” Ketut said he could answer my question with a picture. He showed me a sketch he'd drawn once during meditation. It was an androgynous human figure, standing up, hands clasped in prayer. But this figure had four legs, and no head. Where the head should have been, there was only a wild foliage of ferns and flowers. There was a small, smiling face drawn over the heart.
“To find the balance you want,” Ketut spoke through his translator, “this is what you must become. You must keep your feet grounded so firmly on the earth that it's like you have four legs, instead of two. That way, you can stay in this world. But you most stop looking at the world through your head. You must look through your heart instead, that way, you will know God.”
On this cold, rainy sunday afternoon, I came across this encounter which resonated with my life and desire to live whole heartedly with the Lord. I've found it to be a difficult journey, as I'm sure others have as well, to live in this world but not be 'of' it. How does one find the balance and then proceed to live it out?
I am an anxious person and often find myself worried and
stressed when I really don't need to be. I also enjoy the many
conveniences offered to me by today's society yet they can so easily
distract me from my life with God. Whether it be spending more time
on facebook or watching movies rather than with God in daily devotion
and prayer. Whether it be searching for or relying on other
things/people to calm my anxieties when I should first turn to the
Lord.
I want to be with the Lord all the time just as Liz does and I so appreciated this wise man's depiction of what the balance between us, the world we live in and God can look like. I absolutely love his idea of being so grounded it's as if one is on all fours to obtain a stronger stance, in such a way that we can have our focus on God and remain well in this world. There is more to life than what we find here on earth, but while we here, let us view it through our hearts rather than our minds. It is in our hearts that we are connected to God; it's through our souls that we can view the world through the lens of our Father and creator.
Back in the spring I had a discernment prayer time with
a circle of friends and supporters. From that the Lord made it clear
that my vocation of this time in life is to work on my relationship
with Him and to really get to know Him better (it sounds kinda cliche
but...it is what it is). At the time, I thought that was the 6 weeks
or so preceding that prayer meeting. However, as the weeks and months
have passed, I've noticed this vocation extend into each little step
I've step I've taken since graduation. Now here I am, where it is
most evident and definitely a focal point of my life right now. I
hope I can make wise choices over the next while to pursue this
vocation well. My hope is that I will find balance and grow in a way
that enables me to live life through my heart; to see the world
through my father's eyes and come to a better understanding of it and
of Him. This way of life will most likely lead to a lasting encounter
with God and yet I also recognize ti will probably take a lifetime to
even start mastering such a way. Anxieties and fears, distractions
and weak choices have a way of swaying one from good intentions and a
trusting heart. Following the desire, it's about choices, priorities
and discipline – like any relationship, it doesn't just happen
rather it takes effort but is totally worth it.
Jeremiah 17:5-8
5This
is what the Lord says:
“Cursed
is the one who trusts in man,
who
draws strength from mere flesh
and
whose heart turns away from the Lord.
6That
person will be like a bush in the wastelands;
they
will not see prosperity when it comes.
They
will dwell in the parched places of the desert,
in
a salt land where no one lives.
7“But
blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord,
whose
confidence is in him.
8They
will be like a tree planted by the water
that
sends out its roots by the stream.
It
does not fear when heat comes;
its
leaves are always green.
It
has no worries in a year of drought
and
never fails to bear fruit.”
What a strong image-- to seek to see the world through God's eyes would definitely require seeing it through His heart (so to speak). May each day bring you further along as you draw nearer to Christ in this way!
ReplyDelete