Friday evening we were graced with presence of two sweet and talented musicians for a house concert at the pastors' home. These two musicians are both Christian artists touring Southern, Ontario for two weeks; Chelsea Amber hails from Halifax Nova Scotia, where as Jennifer Jade Kerr resides in Kelowna, B.C..
(Check out their music if you have a chance on youtube and/or fb)
I was asked to help Martha, the church administrator and a most delightful lady, with providing and preparing the delicious spread of food and drinks, which I was definitely looking forward to. Being a hostess of sorts, but in a more behind the scenes and quiet manner as it was not my house, is a task I absolutely enjoy. Working along side Martha also made this task that much more pleasant. That being said I had to arrive early, and stay late to prepare and clean up for the evening. This allowed for time before and after the concert for casual conversation with Chelsea and Jennifer. Martha was not yet there when I arrived, which meant shy Janell wasn't a fan of this situation, although it turned out Chelsea and Jennifer were nothing to be intimidated by. They were super sweet and easy to chat with - and being that we live in such a small world, we also shared some similar connections of people, places or churches. :) I so enjoyed their company and our conversations that I was put at ease before too long.
This enriched the whole atmosphere and enjoyment of the house concert for me. Having had the chance to get to know these wonderful woman before hand followed by being blessed by their musical gifts filled my soul with warmth and contentment. The concert consisted of a balmy variety, Jennifer and Chelsea have a definite difference in styles but both are exceptional. There was a mixture of cover songs, originals and some beloved worship songs. So the audience and I were not only able to bask in their original music, but also enjoy the fun of familiar covers as well as feel the presence of God as we worshiped together. In addition, there was some fun audience participation and interaction with their songs. :)
House concerts, in my experiences, almost always foster an intimate atmosphere. There is opportunity to mingle with everyone present, even the artists, in a casual manner. Once the artists begin, everyone is cozied up on couches and chairs, sipping hot drinks while the mellifluous music fills the room. It really is special. One aspect that I so appreciate every time, is the moments the artists' often take in between songs to share when and why they wrote the particular songs. All who are present get a glimpse into the individuals story that brings even more life to the words of their songs. This enhances the meaning of the songs for those listening, from the artist's perspective, but also for us personally. I love stories, I always have and I always will. The most favoured story I enjoy, is that of another individual, with raw and real content. Content that may or may not be relatable, but content that allows for a better understanding of the individual; of their lessons learned, their joys and sorrows, their heart and of their life. Bits and pieces of their story that create who they are and what their music - their art - is really saying. It's a most beautiful form of communication about real emotions and experiences that others can relate to or have, to understand and get to know another individual. I love having the opportunity to discover what is at the heart of the music and the musician.
A house concert that encompasses all this, is definitely an event worth attending. I feel so blessed to have been apart of this evening. I feel so blessed to have been able to connect with Jennifer and Chelsea - to be a little piece of their story, and them a piece of mine.
![]() |
| And then sings my soul... |

Yes! House concerts were an amazing element in SSU life! They have a special atmosphere all their own, as you said, a unique closeness centered on creative personal expression and gathering with friends. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete